It appears to be an issue with fraudulent “translation services” that pose on
behalf of the foreign language researcher and use the “suggested reviewer”
feature in the submission process to mislead editors into contacting reviewers
who aren’t who they claim to be. The BMC blog post
http://blogs.biomedcentral.com/bmcblog/2015/03/26/manipulation-peer-review/
<http://blogs.biomedcentral.com/bmcblog/2015/03/26/manipulation-peer-review/>
explains the fraud. My insight is that this could be happening elsewhere, and
that BMC is doing the right thing to bring it to light, given the potential
tarnish it creates.

David Mellor
Center for Open Science <http://centerforopenscience.org/>
(434) 352-1066 @EvoMellor