Martin-

You raise very good questions. I hope the Governing Board of ESA can respond. I too see that developing world and other scientists run into various barriers.

Sheila Ward

On 2015-03-28 14:50, Martin Meiss wrote:
Hi David Inouye,
Several times in recent years there have been lengthy threads on Ecolog
discussing the fact that many scientific publications are prohibitively
expensive for scholars working in poor countries or who are affiliated with institutions with very limited resources. This seems to have devolved into
a situation where science exists to serve the wealthy, where tropical
countries serve as field stations for ecologists, but are excluded from
participating in research and benefiting from the research of their own
lands.

    Do you know if the Governing Board took this into account when
considering a publishing partner?  Who will control the pricing and
availability of the journals? Will there be a policy guaranteeing, or at
least facilitating, access for worthy scholars, irrespective of their
financial means?

Martin

and in Ecological Applications, the January issue.

Dave Schimel

On Mar 28, 2015, at 10:05 AM, David Inouye <ino...@umd.edu> wrote:

> The Ecological Society of America, which has self-published its journals
for about a century, is facing this kind of issue Martin raises below. Most
of the societies that publish journals read by ecologists have already
moved to partner with some of the large publishers (Wiley, Elsevier, Oxford University Press, Taylor and Francis, etc.), and it is likely that the ESA
will do the same within the next year. For more information about the
reasons behind this, see this month's editorial in Frontiers in Ecology and
the Environment:
http://www.esajournals.org/doi/full/10.1890/1540-9295-13.2.67.

--
Sheila Ward, PhD