Dear ECOLOG,

Lauren Kuehne and I recently published an opinion article in PNAS (Lay
Summaries needed to enhance science communication;
http://www.pnas.org/content/112/12/3585) promoting the requirement and
publication of lay summaries with peer-reviewed research articles.

In the article, we outlined the potential for lay summaries to improve
transparency, openness, and accessibility of scientific research,
particularly in the rapidly changing science media landscape. It's been
pretty enthusiastically received, and we are planning to follow up with
major ecology and conservation journals requesting that they adopt and
publish lay summaries as part of the peer-review process. We've created an
open letter and are inviting scientists to sign if they support the idea

http://washington.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bQIXBWeha7Aeahv

If you feel inclined, please circulate via Twitter

https://twitter.com/oldenfish/status/581537160228016128

Thanks so much for your consideration.

Sincerely,
Julian Olden

---
Julian D. Olden
Freshwater Ecology & Conservation Lab
School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences
University of Washington, Seattle WA 98195
e: ol...@uw.edu, t: 206.616.3112 skype: goldenolden
w: http://www.fish.washington.edu/research/oldenlab
ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Julian_Olden
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/oldenfish