Dear Tropical Montane and Cloud Affected Forest Researchers,

As a part of an NSF-funded research coordination network on tropical montane
science and ecology ("CloudNet", http://cloudnet.agsci.colostate.edu), we are
organizing a global meta-analysis to assess the broad-scale relationships
between environmental-physical drivers (e.g. climate, relief, soil nutrients)
and ecological patterns and processes in tropical montane forests (TMFs) and
cloud-affected forests. The motivation behind this meta-analysis is determine
the variables which best delineate and characterize different TMF sites across
the tropics. For example, do TMF sites and processes cluster in predictable
ways (e.g. geographic), or form a continuum across environmental gradients?
How much variability or convergence exists been ecological processes across
TMFs?  What major data and geographic gaps exist in TMF research? Such an
effort will help evaluate the commonalities and diversity of TMFs while also
serving to synthesize research across as many TMFs as possible.

To accomplish this, we are compiling existing data from TMFs on: (1) plant
traits, (2) soil properties, (3) microclimate, 4) forest structure, 5)
ecological processes, and 6) wildlife. These data will be examined using
multivariate analyses to determine which variables best delineate different TMF
sites, etc. After some preliminary examination and data organization, much of
this data analysis and interpretation will be done in at a CloudNet workshop
planned for mid-2015.

At this point, we are canvasing the community to determine the scope of extant
environmental and/or ecological data, and general interest in contributing to
this meta-analysis.  Pasted at the bottom is a table where you can indicate the
types of data you have, if published, the locations of field sites, etc.
Participation may take two basic forms:
1)      Contribution of data only: you would be acknowledged and your
study/studies described in tables and cited in the manuscript. We would need
access to the data ideally by mid-May 2015.
2)      Co-authorship. This requires the contribution of data, participation in
data analysis and interpretation, and/or help writing and editing the
manuscript. The nature of an individual's contribution may depend, in part, on
their level of interest and area/relevance of expertise, and that the final
order of co-authors will reflect the level of contribution of each participant.

*** If you are interested in participating in this meta-analysis, we ask that
you fill out the table and return it to Becky Ostertag at
oster...@hawaii.edu<mailto:oster...@hawaii.edu>. You will then be contacted
separately about providing the original data set. ***

We welcome all in this effort, so feel free to pass this request along to
anyone who works in TMFs or cloud affected forests, and to write us if you have
suggestions about the data collation and analysis.

Patrick
Dr. Patrick Martin
Colorado State University
1173 Campus Delivery
Fort Collins, CO  80523-1773

Table. META-ANALYSIS of Tropical Montane and Cloud-Affected Forests
Please fill out this table below to help us compile a general overview of the
types and intensities of data collected in various TMFs. We filled out the
first row as an example. Feel free to include information on multiple sites and
add new rows or information not specified. ***You will need to copy this table
and paste it into a word processor in 'landscape layout' to retain the
formatting. If you prefer a copy in Word, please email me
(patrick.mar...@colostate.edu<mailto:patrick.mar...@colostate.edu>) or Becky
Ostertag (oster...@hawaii.edu<mailto:oster...@hawaii.edu>) directly.

Please return the completed table to Becky Ostertag
(oster...@hawaii.edu<mailto:oster...@hawaii.edu>), renaming the file as with
your last name. "meta-analysis_LAST NAME".
Variable        Data description (including units)      Sites (forest types,
country; include GPS pts if available)     Sampling dates (e.g., monthly,
annual), frequency, and spatial scale    Comments        Publication(s) /
unpublished data
Plant Traits
Specific leaf area      Yes (m2 kg-1)   Cloud forest 1800 m, Costa Rica Annual,
Octobers  2009-2011, 1 stand    Done for 10 tree species        unpublished
Toughness
Stomatal size/density
Shape
Phenology