Hi Matt,

To answer your question: Yes, you probably can become a successful ecologist or
wildlife biologist with either environmental studies or biology. A Masters and
possibly a PhD would also likely give you helpful credentials, depending on
your interests and the degree to which you want your career to be based in hard
science.

My two cents is that undergraduate years are what one makes of them. While the
focus of a department may influence a student’s interests, I believe
self-motivation is ultimately critical in pursuing science. While maybe not the
norm for a small liberal arts university such as Brandeis, I graduated in 2003
with a BA in Biology and an Env. Studies minor (there was no major at that
time). After internships and working for a few years I went to U. of Maryland
for my Ph.D. (2010) in Marine, Estuarine and Environmental Science with an
Ecology area of specialization. I have always felt that the rigor of the
(essentially pre-med) Biology major at Brandeis has been extremely helpful
beyond college despite that my interests lay outside the cellular level.

Cheers,
Ben Fertig
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Benjamin_Fertig