I teach an online course in Ecological Literacy for the Interdisciplinary
Perspectives
the Environment program at the University of Oklahoma.
(course numbers: IPE 3913.995 for summer 2015, IPE 3913.992 for Fall 2015)
There are no prerequisites so I aim it at non-science majors, but it is
academically
rigorous. I get many humanities and IPE majors in the class and it makes for
fantastic
discussions.
I cover systems thinking and then population, community, and ecosystem ecology.
The main differences from a regular ecology course are that I skip autecology, I
do not ask the students to do any math (although I do expect them, by the end
of
the course, to understand complicated graphs, conceptual models, and the
significance
of a few important equations),
and, of course, there is no lab :(

Textbooks are:
Thinking in Systems, A Primer. By Donella H. Meadows, 2008.
Ecology, 3nd Ed., 2014. By Cain, Bowman, and Hacker.
Animate Earth, Science, Intuition, and Gaia, 2nd Edition. By S. Harding, 2009.
UIT Cambridge Ltd. (Yes, we critique this rigorously.)
Resilience thinking, Sustaining Ecosystems and People in a Changing World, By
B. Walker and D. Salt, 2006. Island Press.

Rebecca A. Sherry
Plant Ecologist
rshe...@ou.edu