I've always just used disposable plastic drinking cups for ptifall traps. They
are inexpensive, light-weight to carry in the field, and easy to replace if
damaged. I usually use 2 cups per trap, this way the outer one stays in the
ground and the inner one can be removed to empty/check. If you're doing
multiple checks throughout the season, it minimizes soil and litter disturbance
once they are set.

Lids are a tough thing because you want the insects to crawl in unhindered but
limit small mammal captures. I typically use a styrofoam plate and some long
nails to support the plate. In places where I've had lots of raccoon activity
(they like pulling traps out), I've used a square of chicken wire over the trap
held in place with lawn stakes. It helped, but I don't know how that impacted
insect captures.

How often are you going to check the traps? I'd recommend propylene glycol for
the wet component. I've used the low-tox antifreeze, but marine/RV antifreeze
is cheaper (it does contain water, but I haven't had much issue with it).
Ethylene glycol will attract mammals and will likely shift your traps from
passive to active for insects. Even after a week or two, the insects should
still be preserved well enough to ID in propylene glycol.

Marshall

plantecologylab.com