Photosynthetic rate and local leaf nutrient status...
________________________________
From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU] on behalf of Geoff Zahn [geoff.g...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2015 6:47 PM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] How to measure plant leaf responses to microbial variation?

Hello Ecolog,

I are going to be undertaking a microbial transplantation project (mainly
phyllosphere fungi) in an effort to help protect a critically endangered tree
snail on the island of Oahu in Hawaii.  Because I can't handle the snails
directly, we would like to measure the effects of our different microbial
communities on the host plants themselves, but would like some advice as to
what parameters might be useful to measure.

These are all long-lived large tropical plants and we are only working on small
areas of each one so measuring traditional dependent variables like flowing,
seed count, growth rate, etc. will not work.

Do you have any ideas for how we could assess tropical plant leaf responses to
phyllosphere community variation?

Thanks a bunch!!

--
Dr. Geoffrey Zahn