Dear colleagues,

Please consider submitting an abstract to the 2016 Ocean Sciences Meeting
session: "Moving the Mississippi River Delta towards Long-Term Sustainability:
Opportunities and Limitations"
(https://agu.confex.com/agu/os16/preliminaryview.cgi/Session9322). Submission
deadline is in 5 days, the 23rd of September. Three teams selected as finalists
for the Mississippi River Delta Design Competition by Changing Course
(http://changingcourse.us/team_finalists/) will also be present at the session
to demonstrate their bold ideas on Mississippi River Delta restoration.

***Session details*** (Session ID#: 9322):

The Mississippi River Delta (MRD) region contributes an estimated $45 billion
in revenue annually and has a natural capital asset estimated $1.3 trillion.
The existence of the economy and associated jobs are being threatened by the
rapid coastal land loss. Solutions to the problems are complicated by many
challenges including riverine sediment supply, sea level rise, and maintaining
navigation safety, flood control, ecological integrity, energy security, and
socioeconomic/cultural assets. Despite a large number of research in the past,
fundamental questions remain - Do we have sufficient scientific knowledge about
the MRD? What else must we know in order to develop a sustainable solution for
saving the sinking coast? How can science and policy work together to support
the solution? This session aims at bringing together the endeavors of research
and practices on the Mississippi River Delta as a complex dynamical system
between the natural and human environments. We encourage submissions reporting
results from field, modeling, and synthetic studies concerning river hydrology,
sediment transport, sedimentation, coastal wetlands, energy infrastructure,
population dynamics, real estate development, and policy making in the
vulnerable MRD. We especially encourage presentations that stimulate
intellectual discussion and critical thinking pertinent to finding an answer to
the above questions.

Index Terms:

4217 Coastal processes [OCEANOGRAPHY: GENERAL]

4558 Sediment transport [OCEANOGRAPHY: PHYSICAL]

4815 Ecosystems, structure, dynamics, and modeling [OCEANOGRAPHY: BIOLOGICAL
AND CHEMICAL]

6349 General or miscellaneous [POLICY SCIENCES]

Co-Sponsor(s):

B - Biogeochemistry and Nutrients

EC - Estuarine and Coastal

HI - Human Use and Impacts

Primary Chair:  Yi-Jun Xu, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA, United
States; Email: y...@lsu.edu

http://www.rnr.lsu.edu/hydrology/people/xu/default.htm

Chairs:  Nina Lam1, Brian J. Marks1 and Christopher Swarzenski2, (1)Louisiana
State University, Baton Rouge, LA, United States; (2)United States Geological
Survey, Baton Rouge, LA, United States