Has anyone seen this image elsewhere? Protocol when copyright holder of an
image is unknown?

Dear Ecolog-Listers:

An undergraduate working with me hopes to submit for publication her first
paper by the end of 2015. The student would like to *use one image*:

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/66498000/gif/_66498895_spidersilk.gif

The paper in which it appeared can be seen here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/0/21685308

I contacted the BBC, 'I&A Photo Library' <photolibra...@bbc.co.uk>; News
website permission requests <news.website.permission.reque...@bbc.co.uk>
and received this reply:

"Our capacity to supply images found on the BBC website is limited by the
quality of image available and potential copyright issues. The images seen
online may be BBC copyright, but are often screen grabs that are unsuitable
for high resolution reproduction. Online images that are not BBC copyright
are often licensed by external agencies for limited reuse on the web.

Unfortunately, on this occasion the Photo library is unable to confirm the
origin of the requested images."

Question # 1: Has anyone seen the image of interest elsewhere? The idea is
that, perhaps elsewhere we detect who is the copyright owner and request
permission.

Question # 2: Does anyone know what is the protocol  when copyright holder
of an image is unknown?

If you have answers for question # 1 or # 2, please, kindly send me a reply
off the list to: blayjo...@gmail.com

Gratefully,

Jorge

P.S. Apologies for potential duplicate emails.

Jorge A. Santiago-Blay, PhD
blaypublishers.com

1. Positive experiences for authors of papers published in *LEB*
http://blaypublishers.com/testimonials/

2. Free examples of papers published in *LEB*:
http://blaypublishers.com/category/previous-issues/.

3. *Guidelines for Authors* and page charges of *LEB*:
http://blaypublishers.com/archives/ *.*