Agency: Idaho Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit, University of
Idaho

Location: Adams County, Idaho

Salary: $45/day per diem plus free housing

Expected dates of study: 5 April - 15 August 2016

Last Date to Apply: 8 January 2016

Description
The northern Idaho ground squirrel (Urocitellus brunneus) is federally
threatened under ESA. We are using field experiments to assess the
presence and effects that plague may have on Northern Idaho ground
squirrel populations and other small mammals associated with them.

We capture and mark ground squirrels using PIT tags and ear tags from
April through August.  We compare demographic parameters among
treatments, including capture-recapture analyses to assess population
attributes (e.g., survival rates).  We anesthetize small mammals
(Columbian ground squirrels, northern Idaho ground squirrels, and
chipmunks) and collect fleas to assess whether plague affects survival.

Housing will be provided for the applicant during the field season.
Field housing may be rustic and may be a camp trailer, a cabin, or a
wall tent.  Applicants must be willing to live for 5 months without
daily phone and email access in fairly rustic accommodations.  Field
work will include various types of weather conditions (rain, snow, and
heat), long hours, odd schedules, and physical work.

Skills you will acquire:
• Trapping, handling, and processing small mammals (northern Idaho
ground squirrels, Columbian ground squirrels, chipmunks, and mice)
• Use of anesthesia in the field
• Experience working with a federally listed Threatened species

Minimum Qualifications
• Demonstrated oral and written communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to work both independently and within a group
setting
• Previous experience hiking/camping.
• Excellent skills in time and data organization/management
• Must be in good physical condition and have the ability to walk on
uneven terrain throughout the day and carry heavy traps for short
distances (less than 1 mile).
• Must have a valid US driving license
• Must be a US citizen or possess a valid US green card
• Must be available for employment by 5 April 2016 through 15 August
2016

**Employment may be contingent upon satisfactory completion of a
criminal background and/or driving investigation.**

Apply by sending cover letter, CV, copy of college transcripts
(unofficial are fine), and the email and phone numbers for three
references to Amanda Goldberg (nidgs.technic...@gmail.com). Please write
"plague volunteer" in the subject line.