Greetings from the Cary Institute!

We are pleased to offer our Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU)
program for the 29th year in 2016. The theme of the program is *Translational
Ecology for Undergraduates**:* See: www.caryinstitute.org/reu.html.

Your help in sharing this information with students interested in doing
independent research in our unique setting would be very much appreciated.
Program details follow. A flyer for posting is available upon request.

Thank you.

Alan Berkowitz, Ph.D.

Head of Education and Cary REU Program Director

*Translational Ecology:  Independent Research in Ecology for Undergraduates
*

*Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies, Millbrook, New York*

Ten undergraduate students will join the Cary Institute research community
in 2016 to:

·         Be a part of an exciting research community, working closely with
leading ecologists

·         Design and complete a research project using state-of-the-art
facilities

·         Exchange ideas with a diverse group of students and scientists

·         Learn how to translate ecology for policy, management and the
public

·         Publish results in our online *Cary Institute Undergraduate
Research Report*

·         Explore how ecological research impacts society

The program emphasizes the community nature of the scientific enterprise,
fosters reflection and builds self confidence and skills. To complement
their mentored research, students have many chances to interact, give and
receive feedback and support, and participate in a rich assortment of
enrichment activities, workshops and field trips around the theme of
translational ecology.

*Dates*:               May 23 to August 12, 2016 (12 weeks)

*Eligibility*:        Undergraduate freshmen, sophomores, juniors or first
semester seniors. Must be citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. or
its possessions.

*Stipend:           *$6,300 stipend, plus a $900 food allowance and free
housing in Bacon Flats Lodge.

*Other support*:  Assistance is available for travel to and from the
program as well.

*Projects for 2016:*

·         Hudson River habitats in a changing world

·         Drivers of mammal patch occupancy in a temperate northeastern
forest

·         Ecosystem regulation of mosquitoes and disease risk

·         What, if anything, controls tick populations and tick-borne
disease?

·         Lakes in a changing global environment

·         The effects of contaminants on stream ecosystem structure and
function

·         Ecological patterns of an infectious fungal pathogen of amphibians

·         Songbird behavioral ecology: How do veeries use their songs to
communicate?

·         Eavesdropping behavior and social information use in songbirds

·         Investigating people’s ideas about ecosystems

·         Identifying indirect effects and interactions of invasive forest
pests

*To apply:*          See our website at: www.caryinstitute.org/reu.html.
Online application only.

                        *Applications must be submitted by February 5,
2016.*

*For more information, contact:*

Dr. Alan R. Berkowitz

Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies
PO Box AB, 2801 Sharon Turnpike, Millbrook, NY 12545

(845) 677-7600 x311
Fax: (845) 677-5976
E-mail: cary...@caryinstitute.org