Just two tangential points on this topic that I've been mulling about and
bouncing off my local colleagues.

1. First, the papers we produce are not our research, they are but
advertisements of our research.  We all know very highly cited papers whose
underlying quality of data may not match the elegance of wordsmithery that
got it published.  However, it is the data itself that is the fundamental
component of our research, no?  Is there a possible future where data
citation rankings will also be used to quantify research output?  The more
people use my data, the more beneficial it is to the larger community...
We can already associate doi values for raw data.

2. Second, and perhaps more fundamental, we have historically chased
particular journals in our discipline because they were the sole place to
showcase our work.  We pay page charges, publication fees, or membership
dues and do the reviewing pro bono as pointed out in the Chronicle
article.  However, there are increasingly large numbers of locations we can
put our data, analyses, and interpretations outside just a handful of
publications.  Many of us no longer get the physical journals each month.
I used to thumb through them when they arrived to keep up with the latest
and greatest work but now Google Scholar and Web of Science are my primary
vectors towards research discovery.  The odd thing about this arrangement
is that WE are the content creators, not the journals.  Without the content
then the Chief Executive of Elsevier, Mr Engstrom, wouldn't have received
the reported $4.6e6 compensation for 2010.  Is there a future where the
magnitude of venues for our research results in competition among the
journals for good science such that the journals chase the people who
actually make content instead of the other way around?

Just some thoughts,

Rodney

--
Rodney J. Dyer, PhD