PH.D. RESEARCH ASSISTANTSHIP, DISTURBANCE ECOLOGY

The Silviculture and Ecology Lab (Website:
http://silvicultureandecology.weebly.com/; Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/SilivicultureAndEcologyLab) is seeking applicants
for a Ph.D. Research Assistantship position in Disturbance Ecology. The
position is located in the Department of Forestry and Environmental
Conservation at Clemson University in Clemson, SC. Clemson is a land-grant
university situated in the Upper Piedmont of South Carolina, USA. In
addition to the 1,400-acre campus the school has access to 18,000 acres on
the University Forests and Farms near Clemson and 16,000 acres of land on
the coast on Hobcaw Barony, both devoted to teaching, research, and
outreach. Clemson University is recognized as a top 20 public university by
U.S. News and World Report.

The assistantship will support a student who is interested in conduct
his/her dissertation research aimed to understanding disturbances as major
drivers of tree species distribution and abundance.
Climate and topo-edaphic factors have been long regarded as drivers of
forest distribution while the role of disturbances has only been explicitly
acknowledged during recent decades. In some regions, however, disturbances
could be more important than other ecological factors in regulating tree
species distribution and abundance. Yet their role has not been well
studied. Our lab has been conducting research on the impact of a wide
variety of forest disturbances, including fire, hurricane, drought, ice
storm, flood, and biological invasion. These applied research projects have
provided us with valuable insights on the role of disturbances in regulating
species distribution and abundance. As a result, we would like to develop a
Ph.D. project within the following framework, with the purpose to understand
disturbances as major drivers of tree species distribution and abundance at
multiple spatial scales.

At the landscape scale, we are interested in studying species distribution
and abundance on sites of differing disturbance impact and quality. For
example, species dominance in a particular location may be influenced more
by interactions between species traits and the overriding disturbance regime
(e.g., longleaf pine in area with frequent fire, broadleaf evergreen in
areas with less frequent or intense ice storms) than by climatic or
topo-edaphic conditions. We have data available on differential responses of
tree species to direct damage from the 2014 major ice storm event (funded by
NSF) and will continue to monitor the long-term growth implications of tree
damage (funded by USFS). We expect the differential responses to
disturbances among tree species will manifested in their local abundance and
regional distribution. At the regional scale, it is well documented that
forests in eastern USA have been strongly influenced by several major and
reoccurring disturbances such as surface fires, hurricanes, and ice storms.
We are interested in characterizing the historical disturbance regime for
each major disturbance type and then explore how each disturbance regime has
influenced the distribution and abundance of tree species, based on
available data. We expect that a strong disturbance effect will override
climatic and/or topo-edaphic influences. At the global scale, we are
interested in conducting a cross-continental comparison between eastern USA
and eastern China, two regions similar in climate but with contrasting
disturbance regimes. We expect that forests in eastern China, due to less
influence from major disturbances, would display stronger climatic control
on the distribution and abundance of tree species than forests in eastern USA.

The student will have freedom to develop his/her dissertation research
within the above framework but must include the study of ice storms. Should
the cross continental comparison approach be included, you will have close
collaborations with Chinese scientists, and we will also have support for
you to conduct necessary research in China.

QUALIFICATIONS: We are seeking an outstanding candidate with BS and/or MS in
Forestry, Ecology, Botany, Biology, and Environmental Sciences. A past
record of referred publication, field research experience, and strong
quantitative skill are desirable.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS: The student will be offered a full assistantship
($20,000/year) plus a tuition waiver. The assistantship is for three years,
which is renewable annually based on satisfactory performance. Competitive
university/college/department scholarships are available for outstanding
candidates, and students working in our lab have had a great track record to
obtain these scholarships. Supplementary teaching assistantship may also be
available.

APPLICATION DEADLINE: The position remains open until filled. However, we
are targeting a starting date in August 2016 or January 2017.

APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Please email a single PDF file
(lastname_disturbance.pdf) including (1) a letter of interest with
applicant’s contact information; (2) names, titles, and contact information
for 3 references; (3) GRE and TOFEL (if applicable) scores; (4) an
unofficial transcripts for previous BS and MS degrees; and (5) a Curriculum
Vitae to:

Dr. Geoff Wang
Clemson University
Department of Forestry and Environmental Conservation
226 Lehotsky Hall
Clemson, SC 29634-0310
gw...@clemson.edu
864-656-4864
Faculty Profile: http://www.clemson.edu/cafls/faculty_staff/profiles/gwang
Google Scholar Citation:
https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=MTYrvB4AAAAJ&hl=en
Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/G_Wang

Clemson University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and
does not discriminate against any individual or group of individuals on the
basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion,
sexual orientation, veteran status or genetic information.