We use a TruPulse 360R for stem mapping, and it works quite well.  Works in
10cm increments, and is usually hits that quite well in terms of accuracy.
It has an optional brush filter which works wonders, though you generally
need somebody at the target with a little reflector (we use a little
highway type reflector, nothing fancy) to get it to work.  Very fast, and
has an azimuth output for mapping.  That also works well though you need to
either use a non-magnetic tripod or monitor/correct for any metal in the
tripod with a compass from time to time.

Brian Buma, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Forest Ecology
University of Alaska Southeast

Ph: 907-796-6410