*Job Description:*

We (Pruitt Lab at the University of California, Santa Barbara) are looking
for two field assistants to join us in South Africa and Namibia for *3
months* to help perform and set up various short- and long-term experiments
with the African desert social spider *Stegodyphus dumicola*. We will be
investigating how intracolony behavioral variation leads to success in the
field, its role in defending the colony against ant raids, and the role
that keystone individuals play in this system. This job will require
spending a lot of time both inside performing behavioral assays on spiders,
and outside setting up and recording survival data on colonies in the
field. There will also be a lot of driving, as we will likely be setting up
studies in both South Africa and Namibia. You will be expected to be up
early to assist with projects, and some projects may require surveying
colonies during the night as well. Expect long, 10+ hour workdays. Also, it
is possible that WiFi will be unavailable during the entire 3 month stay in
Africa.

This position will provide you with valuable experience designing, setting
up, and executing research projects in the field. There may also be the
opportunity for you to design and execute your own research project,
depending on our time constraints.

*Compensation*:

We will cover all airfare costs as well as food and lodging while in South
Africa. Additionally, we will pay each assistant $600 per month. If your
performance is outstanding, we will gladly provide glowing letters of
recommendation for you should you need them.

*Duration*:
3 months (from Early January to early April of 2017)
We will be accepting applications from now until November, 2016.

*Requirements*:

1. Seriously interested in pursuing a career in ecology
2. Excellent academic performance
3. Undergraduate or recent graduate
4. Be able to lift 80lbs
5. Must be able to stay for the entire 3 month duration
*6. Must not be squeamish around spiders*. These are medium-sized spiders,
and one colony can have sometimes over 1,000 spiders inside it. You will be
required to handle them often with bare hands. They *will* sometimes try to
bite you, but their fangs cannot penetrate your skin. *It does not hurt
when they bite you*. Please do not apply for this position if reading that
made you queasy.
7. Limited dietary restrictions: food options where we will be staying are
often quite limited, and it may not be possible to accommodate severely
restricting dietary requirements. Vegetarians should be fine.

*Apply for this position*:

If this position interests you, please send your cover letter, CV,
unofficial academic records including current GPA, and two personal
references that we may contact to *Colin Wright *(africaspid...@gmail.com). *We
are accepting applications NOW through November of 2016*.

Additionally, if you have any questions regarding us, our lab, or the
project, please don't hesitate to email me and ask!