SESYNC 2016 Computational Summer Institute
Application Link: http://sesync.us/e2
Deadline: May 25, 2016

The National Socio-Environmental Synthesis Center (SESYNC) invites
applications from small teams of researchers for the third annual
Computational Summer Institute. The workshop will be held July 26-29 at
SESYNC in Annapolis, Maryland.

The workshop will offer participants hands-on instruction and hacking using
computational tools for socio-environmental synthesis. We will focus
primarily on using R for data management and analysis, GIS, and web
applications. Depending on participant interest, we may also offer sessions
on python, version control, relational databases, and an overview of
methods for qualitative data. Applicants will need to identify a specific
project to work on in advance, and the hacking sessions will match
participants with SESYNC computing and research staff to address
computational and methodological challenges participants face in their
research.

Through this workshop, participants should expect to:

   - learn new scientific computing skills
   - advance project work
   - meet other researchers
   - have fun

Eligibility

Members of SESYNC science teams will be given priority. Limited slots are
available for other research teams of two or more people who are actively
working on problems at the intersection of humans and the environment with
quantitative and/or qualitative data. Participants from academic,
government, and non-profit research institutions are welcome and may be at
any career stage, from graduate student to senior researcher/faculty.

SESYNC will cover eligible travel expenses, such as airfare and
accommodations, for all participants. Please see our travel policy
<http://www.sesync.org/sites/default/files/travel_policies_jan_2016.pdf> for
more details.

Each participant must provide their own laptop, and teams should bring
their own data from a current research project they work on together.
To Apply

*Applications are due by May 25 at 5 pm Eastern Time.*

To apply, please fill out the SESYNC CSI 2016 Application form found here:
http://sesync.us/e2

Questions? Email SESYNC's Associate Director of Synthesis, Mary Shelley, at
mshel...@sesync.org
<https://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=mshel...@sesync.org>.

*The University of Maryland is an Equal Opportunity Employer*

*Minorities and Women Are Encouraged to Apply*