Dear colleagues,

We invite abstracts to our session "Partitioning mechanisms governing
ecosystem biogeochemical cycling: Physiology vs. physics" at the AGU 2016
Fall meeting that explore biotic-abiotic interactions and how they influence
biogeochemical cycling.

The deadline for abstract submission is Wednesday, 3 August 2016. Abstracts
can be submitted at
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm16/preliminaryview.cgi/Session13337.html. For
additional details please see abstract below.

Peter M. Homyak1, Eric Slessarev2, and Yang Lin3

1University of California, Irvine. 2University of California, Santa Barbara.
3University of California, Berkeley

Session ID: 13337

Partitioning mechanisms that govern ecosystem biogeochemical cycling:
Physiology vs. physics

Across scales, shifts in the balance between physiological and physical
processes govern biogeochemical cycling. For instance, in arid ecosystems,
abiotic N transformations and photodegradation can govern N and C cycling
during dry periods when biological processes become stressed. In humid
landscapes, abiotic reactions among redox-active species can sustain organic
matter decomposition when biological processes are oxygen-limited, and
bio-cycling of calcium may counteract the physical effects of leaching on
soil pH. Because biotic-abiotic processes often act in opposing ways, they
may combine to produce non-linear responses. Thus, understanding tradeoffs
between biotic-abiotic processes is critical to predicting the direction and
shape of ecosystem response to environmental forcing. We welcome
contributions from all disciplines relating to the following questions: i)
How do we partition biotic-abiotic mechanisms controlling biogeochemical
cycling? ii) What controls the balance and interaction between
biotic-abiotic processes? And iii) How might a changing climate shift this
balance?

Peter M. Homyak, Ph.D.

Associate Researcher

Earth System Science