Vermont EPSCoR is recruiting several PhD level graduate students to join our
cutting-edge NSF funded research on Basin Resilience to Extreme Events (BREE).
We are initiating a five-year award of large-scale interdisciplinary studies
which will determine how the Lake Champlain Basin’s landscape, watershed and
lake conditions respond to extreme weather events and will test policy
scenarios for enhancing resilience using our comprehensive Integrated
Assessment Model (IAM). As a member of the BREE team, you will have excellent
mentoring and participate in unique learning and professional development
experiences including learning to communicate your science through our program
with the Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science.

Climate Statistics PhD Student
Position ID: GRA#008
Vermont EPSCoR’s latest Track 1 award, Basin Resilience to Extreme Events, is
recruiting for a number of positions within the next year to work on a
cutting-edge, large-scale, interdisciplinary, NSF-funded study which will
determine how the Lake Champlain Basin’s landscape, watershed and lake
conditions respond to extreme weather events. We are seeking a PhD level
Graduate Research Assistant, who will be responsible for i) statistical
modeling of climate change projections in support of downstream models and ii)
using these climate change projections to simulate forest dynamics in our New
England study region. This GRA will require or develop technical expertise in
R/Python, Bayesian statistics and running simulations models in a Linux-based
high performance computing environment. It is expected that the successful
applicant will have an undergraduate or Master’s degree in a quantitative or
computational field.
Qualifications:   An undergraduate or Master’s degree in a quantitative or
computational field, coursework in statistics, and knowledge/facility with a
programming language.

This position comes with a research assistantship that is renewable through May
2021. Candidates should enroll in a UVM graduate program for the spring term if
possible, but should be on campus by June 1, 2017 to begin work.

Questions can be directed to Arne Bomblies (arne.bombl...@uvm.edu
<mailto:arne.bombl...@uvm.edu>).

To apply:  please send CV, names and contact information for three references,
and a cover letter outlining research interests, expertise and availability to
eps...@uvm.edu <mailto:eps...@uvm.edu> and reference Position ID GRA#008.

See all of our job opportunities listed here:
http://www.uvm.edu/EPSCoR/jobs <http://www.uvm.edu/EPSCoR/jobs>