AGU Session Announcement

Dear Colleague,

We are pleased to announce a session entitled, "Pyrogenic Carbon:
Characterization, Biogeochemical Cycling and Paleoenvironmental Applications"
will be held at the 2016 Fall AGU meeting in San Francisco. This session is
intended to encourage a dialogue between the modern fire, paleofire and black
carbon research communities to highlight recent advances in the quantification,
characterization and biogeochemical cycling of pyrogenic carbon and feature its
paleoenvironmental interpretation. Some pertinent details of the meeting,
including abstract submission and registration deadlines are included below. We
hope you will join us.

Sincerely,
Andrew Zimmerman, Patrick Hatcher, and Andrew Wozniak

AGU FALL 2016 MEETING DATES: December 12th - 16th.

ABSTRACT SUBMISSION: Open now through August 4th (July 27 for early submission)

MEETING WEBSITE: http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2016/

Session ID: 12654
Session Title: B064. Pyrogenic Carbon: Characterization, Biogeochemical Cycling
and Paleoenvironmental Applications
Section/Focus Group: Biogeosciences

SESSION DESCRIPTION:
Recent advancements in the analysis of pyrogenic carbon have increased our
understanding of natural and anthropogenic biomass burning and its residues.
For example, pyrogenic organic matter has been shown to vary in lability and
composition and can be released to aquatic systems as dissolved black carbon
(BC). Charcoal and BC distributions reveal that past fires and carbon
sequestration were affected by variations in climate, landscape processes and
human activity. The goal of this session is to catalyze new cross-disciplinary
collaborations. This session will highlight recent advances in the
quantification, characterization and biogeochemical cycling of pyrogenic carbon
as well as its paleoenvironmental interpretation.

CONTACTS:
Andrew Zimmerman
Associate Professor
Department of Geological Sciences