Dear All:

I am happy to inform you about the availability of a new citizen science
smartphone app called “CyanoTRACKER” for water quality monitoring. This app
was developed by our team as a part of the NSF-funded CyberSEES project for
early detection of blue-green algae (aka Cyanobacteria) blooms in lakes,
ponds, lagoons, estuaries, coasts etc.

The CyanoTRACKER app lets citizen science volunteers to take a picture and
report cyanobacteria blooms or any types of algal blooms occurring in their
neighborhood waters. We will perform advanced analytics on incoming reports
by integrating them with relevant satellite image data and in-situ sensor
data. The reports will also be archived in a database. In case of a severe
Cyano bloom, we will conduct field trips to measure pigments and toxins
etc., and inform lake managers or restoration managers. We believe this app
will be very helpful in the long-term monitoring and management of our
precious water resources. Both iOS (iPhone) and Android versions of the App
are available. Instructions on how to download the app are included at the
end of this email.

We hope that you will download our app and participate in this research
project by reporting potential Cyano blooms in your neighborhood ponds,
lakes and lagoons. We also request you to encourage your friends and
colleagues to participate in this project (please feel free to forward this
email to anyone who might be interested in using the app). We deeply
appreciate your help on this.

If you have any trouble installing or have any questions regarding the iOS
or Android version of the CyanoTRACKER app, please feel free to email
Michael Scott (mida...@uga.edu) or contact us at cyanotrac...@gmail.com. To
learn more about the project, visit www.cyanotracker.uga.edu. Thank you very
much for your consideration.

Instructions for installing the iOS (iPhone version):

Please go to the App store and search “cyanotracker” (without quotes).
Download and install the App. You may be prompted regarding the permissions
required by the app. File reading/writing permissions are used to enable the
app to upload your photos.  The location services are used when you take a
photo with the app so that it may be tagged with the location data. Network
access is required in order to connect and submit your reports. The app lets
you submit reports anonymously or using your Google/Twitter/Apple login (the
login option is preferable).

Instructions for installing the Android Version:

In order to download the CyanoTRACKER app on Android devices, you should
first locate the 'Google Play Store' launcher on your device. If you cannot
locate the icon on your home screen you may need to click the "Apps" icon
and search through the list there. From the Google Play Store you may search
for "cyanotracker" (without quotes) to bring up the app information and
installation page.  Click install.  You may be prompted regarding the
permissions required by the app. File reading/writing permissions are used
to enable the app to upload your photos.  The location services are used
when you take a photo with the app so that it may be tagged with the
location data. Network access is required in order to connect and submit
your reports. The app lets you submit reports anonymously or using your
Google/Twitter/Apple login (the login option is preferable).

Best regards,

Deepak Mishra and The CyanoTracker@UGA Team.

Deepak Mishra, PhD
Associate Professor