Full time technician available at FIU, Miami: Everglades coastal fishes &
recreational fisheries

Desired start date: September 1, 2016

Duration:        1 year

(Likely extendable & possibility for turning position into a graduate degree if
desired).

Salary:            $30,000-$35,000/year depending on qualifications

Location:        Rehage lab, http://myweb.fiu.edu/rehagej/

Earth & Environment Department

Southeast Environmental Research Center

Florida Coastal Everglades Long Term Ecological Research program
(http://fcelter.fiu.edu/).

Florida International University, Miami, FL

About this position:  We seek a motivated technician with a passion for fish
and recreational fisheries to help us sample in several fish studies in the
coastal Everglades and Florida Bay. Primary duties include coordinating and
executing field activities involving: 1) acoustic telemetry (Vemco) to track
recreational fish (e.g., snook, tarpon, largemouth bass) movement and habitat
use in response to environmental/hydrological drivers, 2) seining to examine
nursery and prey dynamics, and 3) boat electrofishing, 4) snorkeling visual
surveys and 5) BRUVs (Baited Remote Underwater Video Stations) to examine fish
community dynamics and recreational fisheries in coastal mangrove habitats, and
6) angling and working with anglers and fishing guides to participate in data
collection.

Required qualifications:

  *   Passion for fish ecology and recreational fisheries, coastal habitats,
and scientific inquiry and desire to join a productive and collaborative
research team.
  *   Excellent boating skills and extensive experience boating (ability to
operate small motor boats is a must).
  *   Extensive experience with fish sampling methods, angling, and fish
ecology/fisheries field work.
  *   Excellent leadership, communication & organization skills to organize and
lead field activities with our lab and project partners.
  *   Strong lab skills to conduct sample processing, data management,
equipment maintenance, and assist with data analysis.
  *   Ability and willingness to work independently in arduous conditions in
the field for long hours and at times involving backcountry camping while
sampling.

 To apply:  Please email Dr. Jenn Rehage
(reh...@fiu.edu<mailto:reh...@fiu.edu>) and please include the following
materials: a) In your email, please tell us about yourself, research
experience/interests, qualifications and why you are a good fit for this
position.

                 b) Please attach a CV with a list of 3 references.

                 c) Please title email ‘Everglades fisheries technician
position + your last name

Priority consideration will be given to applications received by Aug 15, 2016.

About our lab: We are an energetic team of fish ecologists interested in
understanding how fishes respond to human and natural disturbance, and how
these effects permeate through multiple ecological scales (from individual
behavior to population and community dynamics and to human dimensions, such as
implications for recreational fisheries). We are part of a highly collaborative
south Florida research community, composed of scientists, and federal, state
and private partners, all with the shared goal of understanding and forecasting
coastal ecosystem resilience and responses to large-scale restoration efforts
and climate change, and for us, our focus is on fish and the recreational
fisheries they support.

About our university: FIU is a public research university in Miami with a
highly diverse, vibrant, and growing student body located near the edge of the
Everglades. Our multiple campuses serve over 50,000 students, placing FIU among
the ten largest universities in the nation. FIU is Carnegie-designated as both
a research university with the highest research activity and a
community-engaged university. FIU leads the nation in granting bachelor’s
degrees in the STEM fields to minority students, and is first in awarding STEM
master’s degrees to Hispanics.

-----------------------

J.S. Rehage, PhD
Associate Professor