Dear Ecologers,

Two research assistant positions to participate in a frog captivity breeding
project in the Amazonian cloud forest of Oxapampa in Peru are open.

We are collaborating with a team of researchers from the
<http://hokelab.weebly.com/> Hoke lab at Colorado State University to study the
development of hearing structures in frogs. We are comparing the hearing
ability and differences in morphology in the ear structures of 12 species of
toads in the genera Rhinella and Atelopus that are found in different regions
Peru and Ecuador. In the coming years we will study the developmental processes
that might lead to species differences in ear structures and hearing ability,
and also the differences in gene expression that would guide those
developmental differences using transcriptomics techniques in the laboratory at
Colorado State University.

CDS <http://www.cds-peru.org/#!frog-project/ehxxp>  is the main home base for
this project in Perú. In the study we are learning about the reproductive
ecology of four important species. Because very little is known about these
species, in addition to contributing to the overall study of hearing structures
in toads, we are documenting important behaviors and species characteristics of
these endemic amphibians.

The findings of this project will aid in the conservation of these very
understudied species, and will also contribute to our overall understanding of
the development of hearing and ears across all animals. The research team is
also implementing exhibits at international museums focused on educating the
public about the crisis of global amphibian declines and contributing to
efforts to breed and reintroduce critically threatened frog species that are on
the IUCN Red List.

Position 1. Native insect breeding development

The training involves developing/modifying and following protocols for local
insect breeding. Experiments and field trips are included in the training.
Activities include collecting insects, establishing optimal breeding conditions
and taking care of the insects under this project. You will be working in our
lab in Oxapampa, Peru and will share other intercultural activities with
interns, assistants and volunteers in our center.

All collected data from the captivity breeding project will be entered into a
database. Possible participation in peer review papers.

Minimum stay: two months of training.

Position 2. Frog captivity breeding development

The training involves developing/modifying and following protocols for frog
captivity breeding activities. Experiments and field trips are included in the
training. Activities include collecting frogs/tadpoles, establishing optimal
breeding conditions and taking care of adults, tadpoles and metamorphous.

All collected data from the captivity breeding project will be entered into a
database. Possible participation in peer review papers.

Minimum stay: two months of training.

Interest in amphibious and/or insects research is preferred.

Assistants must be motivated, self directed and prepared for working during the
day and some nights looking for frogs.

Start date: to arrange with the assistant

Cost of the program: $650 per month. It includes housing in a tent or shared
room (depending availability), 3 meals and snacks, local transportation from
Oxapampa-CDS-Oxapampa, supervision, training, field equipment, materials and
the possibility of participation in  peer review articles. Taxes and wire fees
not included.

TO APPLY please contact Florencia Trama at infocds.p...@gmail.com or
ftr...@centroneotropical.org

We look forward to hear from you.

Ph.D. Florencia Trama

Centro de Capacitación en Conservación y Desarrollo Sostenible (CDS)

http://www.cds-peru.org/

 <http://www.centroneotropicalperu.org/CECACDS-EN.htm#s7>
http://www.centroneotropicalperu.org/CDSmain.htm

https://www.facebook.com/ConservacionyDesarrolloSostenible