AGU abstract due today.

Dear all,

You are invited to submit your abstract to AGU fall meeting B031 (deadline:
Aug. 3).

Session ID: 13573
Session Title: B031. Coastal blue carbon: recent advances in measurement and
modeling
Section/Focus Group: Biogeosciences

Coastal marshes, mangroves, and seagrass meadows sequester significant amounts
of “blue carbon.” The complex interactions of climate, land use, sea level,
species composition, and human management regulate the strength of these carbon
sinks. Compared with terrestrial ecosystems, our ability to measure and model
the vertical (CO2 and CH4) and lateral (DOC and DIC) exchanges of carbon in
coastal wetlands in the interface of the land, atmosphere, and ocean is
limited. Their ecosystem services and the associated values of conservation and
restoration in mitigating climate change have only recently been recognized by
policymakers, coastal managers, and the society at large. We aim to bring
together biogeochemists, wetland ecologists, earth system modelers, and social
scientists to discuss the quantity of coastal blue carbon and its role in
global carbon cycling and climate change mitigation; and to report recent
advances in measurement methods and modeling ability to predict and evaluate
the blue carbon credit.

Conveners:

Jianwu Tang jt...@mbl.edu

Omar Abdul-Aziz oiabdula...@mail.wvu.edu