Have you considered skipping the "middlemen" and going straight to the
primary sources?  Chicago Univ Press' FOUNDATIONS OF ECOLOGY has key papers
on succession by Clements & Gleason, they also have Tansley's original
Ecosystem paper, Odum's (now rather silly) "Strategy of Ecosystem
Development" (I would suggest Drury & Nisbet's "Succession" as an antidote)
and the HSS "World is Green" paper.  follow all that up with some choice
pieces by Frank Egler, Dan Janzen, Fakri Bazazz, Joe Connell's "Ghost of
Competition Past" and other stuff from the 1970's,  etc. and you have a
kick ass class.  Honestly, Undergrads can deal with primary stuff WAY
better than getting the run-around in increasingly watered down textbooks &
it is REALLY important that they see that their science actually HAS a
history.  It is a crying shame that Allee Emerson Park Park and Schmidt
devoted nearly a hundred pages of THEIR text to the History of Ecology back
in 1950 (when Ecology was barely a pup) but a modern text tries to get by
with a cute pic of Darwin and half a page of hand-waving...

--
John Anderson
W.H. Drury Professor of Ecology/Natural History