*We Are     *Prairie Biotic Research (PBR) is an all-volunteer, scientific
public charity established in 2000 to foster basic biotic research in
prairies and savannas.  One way we do this is through a competitive Small
Grants Program that funds grants up to $1000 to *individuals* for the study
of any grassland taxon anywhere in the USA.  We support both natural
history and experimental science.  We are especially eager to support
independent researchers (those lacking institutional support), but anyone
having a U.S. Social Security number may apply.  *Since 2002, we’ve awarded
242 grants worth $232,076 to people in 36 states* to study insects, plants,
mammals, reptiles, slime molds, mycorrhizal fungi, spiders, snails,
amphibians, birds, fish, invasive species, effects of management, and the
human dimensions of conservation.  Many of these grants supported graduate
student research.  We believe in the importance of collecting voucher
specimens that will be carefully curated as information-rich specimens and
donated to a public institution; we are not categorically against
collecting specimens, as some citizen science groups are.  In 2017, we
expect to fund at least 18 grants of up to $1000 each with the donations we
have received, including some restricted by donors for work in IA or WI.

*To Apply for a Grant     *Visit our website (prairiebioticresearch.org) to
learn more, to find our proposal form, instructions, and a sample
researcher agreement form that winners of this competition must sign.
Check out the history and overview files in the Small Grants section of the
website to see what sorts of proposals have won funding in the past.
Several winning proposals from past years are available as models on our
website.  Review the reports submitted by researchers of past years.  Those
who won funding in 2016 are ineligible for this funding in 2017, but those
who won funding longer ago are welcome to submit proposals to further that
same work or to support a new project.  Please submit your proposal
electronically as a pdf file attached to an email.  *We must receive your
proposal via email by December 20, 2016*.

*Become a Supporter     *Please make a donation to support our work; you
can now do so using Visa or Mastercard through PayPal on our website.  We
cannot give away money that we don’t have.  Any amount is welcome.  PBR is
volunteer-run so our overhead is very low.  You may specify that your
entire tax-deductible donation be given to researchers through our Small
Grants Program, or to expand our research endowment that produces income we
give away annually through this program.  Please help us to help others!

*We Foster Curiosity!*

*Andrew Williams, President*