Dear Jorge and Eco-log,
As a self-proclaimed "science translator" I completely agree with the
synopsis of many forms of science becoming unintelligible to many people. I
believe based upon (limited) life long empirical evidence that while it is
in our human nature to strive for elitism in language (inside jokes, secret
languages etc), most of the current problems we face stem more from an
inadequate language, with limited words, and the result of the desire for
specificity in words.

In addition I have observed in many labs, people (particularly on the
cutting edge of new discoveries) develop names (often as jokes) to describe
what they are seeing or discovering. These words and names, unless you make
it a habit of reading the multitudes of highly detailed peer reviewed
literature, would easily pass by most people. Add a few more years and
everyone within a specific field of study may now be using these new terms.

Having been someone who has encouraged young people to utilize journal
articles in their studies and research, and have observed first hand the
confused and blank stares after simply reading the abstract. I think we as
scientists do have a problem we should at the very least attempt to remedy.
We just need to be able to find ways to do it and not decrease our accuracy
and specificity in words.

Clayton Kern
Program Coordinator and Naturalist
Kestrel Educational Adventures
http://kestreleducation.org

On Oct 29, 2016 9:52 PM, "Jorge A. Santiago-Blay" <blayjo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Origins of distinctly diminished interdisciplinary communication?
>
> Dear Colleagues:
>
> Question: Does anyone has an idea on the origins of diminished
interdisciplinary communication in many academic disciplines, including the
subject matter of this listserver?

> Background: I just returned from a day-long professional meeting re.
inclusion of the  arts (*sensu lato*) in the teaching of science,
technology, engineering, and mathematics (= STEM). The meeting was
fascinating and one of the reasons for that were the extended periods for
discussions. One interesting discussion topic was the origin of diminished
interdisciplinary communication.

> While in the so-called western world the second half of the 19th century
approximately marks a rapid increase in scientific knowledge and
consequently, new words, today, I learned that (supposedly) the distinctly
diminished interdisciplinary communication comes later. Specifically, I was
surprised by the comment of a participant expressing that such diminished
communication may have been exacerbated by the emphasis in the purity of
many disciplines (STEM or non-STEM). In turn, this purity may have been an
effect of elitists ideologies, such as fascism.

> Are you aware of any scholarship in this topic? This is related to
science (lack of) communication that I suspect many of us have experienced
whereby scientists try to speak (or write) to impress instead of to
communicate. In simpler words, since when was it has been "cool" to, given
the increase in knowledge, to alienate through the use of intelligible
language - instead of bringing together - people of different disciplines?

blayjo...@gmail.com

http://blaypublishers.com/testimonials/

http://blaypublishers.com/category/previous-issues/.

http://blaypublishers.com/archives/ *.*