Judith is correct.  Ecologists spend much less time in the field than was the
case a few decades ago; the screen is our main environment. Graduate students
are the <eyes> in the field for many researchers, who spend more and more time
on administration (which has been downloaded to individuals), on grant writing
and publication, to maintain funding in an increasingly competitive
environment. It is often difficult for young researchers to obtain first grants
or for seniors to maintain funding (where funding is steady or decreasing,
while the pool of researchers increases). I know several researchers who are
looking for alternative careers or deciding to retire relatively early, for
health reasons related to pressure.
So I think there are many circumstances that can contribute to depression among
ecologists; I don't believe we are protected from the increasing pressures to
find money, administer, publish in high impact journals. It is particularly
difficult to see the phenomen of depression among graduate students, who are
only starting their careers (many eventually opt out of research). As Emily
notes, the reward system in academia is very narrowly focused (numbers in high
impact journals), and since this has only become more exaggerated during my
25-yr career, I don't see circumstances improving for young scientists, unless
scientists themselves decide to start to dismantle or discredit this structure
from within; is this very likely, since current hiring favors those who do well
in this system. From observation, the <slow science> movement that started in
Europe does not seem to be finding many members, unfortunately.
Alison Munson, U Laval, Quebec