Dear colleagues,

At the next EGU General Assembly, Vienna 23-28 April 2017, we will organize
again a special session on Nitrogen cycling which we hope will be of
interest to you. The session is entitled “*Nitrogen-transformation
processes in terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems: advances in
pathways-tracing, quantification and process-based modelling”*. Last year
we had a day of more than 40 interesting talks and posters covering
different aspects of Nitrogen cycling and are looking forward to continue
this year. Please feel free to distribute this message to potentially
interested colleagues and co-workers. Abstract deadline is 11 January 2017.
Sorry for any cross-posting. We are looking forward to meeting you in
Vienna.

Best regards,

Sari Juutinen,

Kristina Kleineidam,

Jan Reent Köster,

Christoph Müller,

Julie Talbot,

Reinhard Well,

Tuula Larmola

*BG1.10 Nitrogen-transformation processes in terrestrial and aquatic
ecosystems: advances in pathways-tracing, quantification and process-based
modelling*

Convener: Tuula Larmola, Co-Conveners: Sari Juutinen, Kristina Kleineidam,
Jan Reent Köster, Reinhard Well, Christoph Müller, Julie Talbot

Abstract submission
<http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2017/abstractsubmission/23584>

Anthropogenic disturbance of the nitrogen (N) cycle has more than doubled
the amount of reactive N circulating in the biosphere. This session seeks
to improve our understanding on how various microbial processes contribute
to N cycling in terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems, how global changes
impact ecosystem N biogeochemistry and what feedbacks from N cycling will
be most important in influencing the climate. The presentations will cover
all aspects of ecosystem N cycling, especially methodological advances in
measuring and modelling of microbial N-transformation processes such as
denitrification, nitrification, co-denitrification,
nitrifier-denitrification, nitrate ammonification (DNRA) or anerobic
ammonia oxidation (ANAMMOX), as well as their contributions to exchange of
gaseous N species (N2, N2O emissions) under field-like conditions. The
session will also highlight innovative isotopic, molecular and modelling
methods on N cycling communities and processes at various scales,
interactions with other element cycles (e.g., carbon, phosphorus),
terrestrial-aquatic linkages, and feedbacks to global change.