Posting this response from a subscriber:

I would add that one of the biggest barriers isn't being scared to talk about it, "for fear of being seen as weak..." etc -- it's **through experience* of being seen as weak...* etc.

When you, or your colleagues, have (multiple) experiences of having reached out and then discovered the often-unspoken negative consequences (missed opportunities, being passed over for positions, being openly chided by colleagues/coworkers) -- it makes one understandably reticent.

As a (mostly/by preference) field biologist I would concur that field-versus-lab-versus-office doesn't make a whole lot of difference. It can be an enormous break for one's mental health to spend a week entering data in a warm, well-lit office after weeks of slogging through rain, snow, mud, bugs and camping amongst the bears (for instance)...

In agreement that it's a conversation worth continuing and building upon, thanks for carrying this forward.