Seeking qualified applicants for a graduate assistantship at the Ph.D.
level at Virginia Tech in the lab of Bryan L. Brown in the Department of
Biological Sciences. Preferred starting date is Summer 2017, but Fall
2017 or even Spring 2018 could be negotiable.

In general, the Brown lab (https://mudbuglab.wordpress.com/)focuses on
community ecology in aquatic systems. Operationally, the lab emphasizes
the intersection between theory and empiricism, primarily by testing
broad ecological concepts using observation, experiment and, to a lesser
degree, modeling. Themes in the lab include metacommunity ecology,
community assembly, and the ecology of symbiosis. The Brown lab is also
a member of the longstanding Virginia Tech Stream Team
(http://www.research.biol.vt.edu/ERG_webpage/VT_ST_ERG.html), a group of
8 labs in Biological Sciences at Virginia Tech that share common themes
in community and ecosystem ecology, and a focus on aquatic systems.

Specifically, the graduate assistantship will be supported by a
recently-funded NSF project on metacommunity stability in river
networks. The new project builds on prior work from the Brown lab,
primarily in collaboration with Chris Swan (UMBC), and brings in the
skills and experience of new collaborators Kurt Anderson (UC-Riverside)
and Eric Sokol (Unv. Colorado). The project will have several diverse
empirical facets that include field observational studies, field
experimentation and meta-analysis using existing datasets. We will also
employ a novel modeling component that will combine network modeling
with metacommunity simulation modeling to generate testable hypotheses
regarding the effects of network structure on stability in
metacommunities. The successful student will be expected to not only
engage in research included in the funded project (especially the field
component for which the Brown lab is specifically responsible), but also
to develop their own research focus under the general thematic umbrella
of the project. This focus can include or combine any number of the
project’s elements: fieldwork, experimentation, modeling, meta-analysis.

Ultimately applicants will need to apply to the graduate program in the
Department of Biological Sciences at Virginia Tech. However, I STRONGLY
urge you to contact me directly via email (stone...@vt.edu), indicating
your intention to apply. In that first message please include the
following: 1) an brief introduction; 2) an academic CV;  3) GRE scores
if they are currently available; 4) a description of your career goals
and how you feel working on this project will further those ambitions. 1
and 4 can be included together in an email if you wish. As fair warning,
I will give strong preference to students who have either completed a
Masters degree, or who have very significant prior research experience
that has resulted in publication. My goal is to bring the leading
candidate to visit campus during our annual Research Day and Recruiting
weekend February 4th, so if you are seriously interested, I would urge
expediency. Of course, if you have questions, feel free to contact me
directly at stone...@vt.edu. And again the lab website is
https://mudbuglab.wordpress.com/ for your additional information. I’ll
look forward to hearing from you. blb