The International Max Planck Research School for Organismal Biology is a joint
cooperation between the Max Planck Institute for Ornithology and the Department
of Biology at the University of Konstanz. The research group
<http://www.orn.mpg.de/3731861/Research_Group_Kuepper> Clemens Küpper at the
Max Planck Institute for Ornithology in Seewiesen invites applications for a

PhD position (f/m) on  <http://www.orn.mpg.de/3758282/kupper2017> Alternative
Reproductive Tactics in Birds: how to overcome a Ruff handicap

How does behavioural diversity persist over time? The Ruff Philomachus pugnax
is a charismatic shorebird with multiple male mating tactics that profoundly
differ in display behaviour, aggression and male ornamental plumage. The
differences are best visible in males during the breeding season where three
morphs can be identified: (i) Independents, large aggressive Ruffs with dark
plumage ornaments, who fight other Independents over matings with females; (ii)
Satellites, non-aggressive Ruffs with pale plumage ornaments that co-display
with Independents and (iii) Faeders, small non-aggressive Ruffs who lack
plumage ornaments and actively distract ornamented males from matings whilst
stealthily attempting to steal matings with females themselves. Remarkably,
these reproductive tactics are fully genetically determined and the three
morphs appear to occur in stable frequencies in nature.

We recently found that the underlying genetic differences are entirely
encapsulated within a chromosomal inversion region on chromosome 11. This
region comprises less than 0.5% of the Ruff genome. This inversion variant is
homozygous lethal since one breakpoint interrupts the gene CENPN, whose product
is required during mitosis. In addition, long time data from aviary breeding
suggest that carrying an inversion allele increases juvenile mortality and
therefore the inversion provides a genetic handicap. Our detailed knowledge
about the genomic differences has made it possible to develop new diagnostic
tools to determine morph frequencies in nature that we want to use to advance
our understanding about the persistence of this unusual behavioural diversity
and illuminate how the genetic handicap is compensated for.

Your profile: We are seeking a PhD candidate who will take a demographic
modeling approach to help us understanding, how the three morphs co-exist in
nature. The project will provide opportunities to do fieldwork and sample Ruffs
in different parts of Europe, carry out moleculargenetic work (SNP genotyping)
and advanced demographic modeling. The student will then integrate already
collected data from captivity and the wild with newly collected data and
construct a series of state-of-the-art population-matrix models. These models
will provide critical morph- and sex-specific parameter estimates, which as
such cannot be obtained otherwise. The insights from the modelling will advance
our understanding about the maintenance of phenotypic diversity in a textbook
example for sexual selection. It will complement other research currently
carried out in our group aiming to unravel the proximate mechanisms underlying
the three morphs. Applicants should hold a MSc or equivalent degree in biology
or a related discipline at the point of enrollment.

Our offer: The PhD project is fully funded for at least 3 years. The salary
will be paid according to the collective agreement for civil service employees
(TVöD). The program offers a dedicated teaching program, high quality research
experience, and outstanding research facilities in an inspiring research and
living environment. The working language is English. Each PhD student receives
individual supervision and mentoring and is guided in her/his research work by
a PhD advisory committee.

Application: Please apply exclusively on our
<http://www.orn.mpg.de/2383/Application> online application portal on no later
than Jan 15, 2017. Interviews with the applicants are scheduled for Mid‐March.
Candidates accepted into the program may start latest October 2017.

The Max Planck Society and the University of Konstanz are equal opportunity
employers and are committed to increasing the participation of women in its
research activities and to employing more individuals with disabilities and
especially encourages them to apply.

More information at www.orn.mpg.de/IMPRS and www.facebook.com/OrganismalBiology.