Good point Jesse. It was in part to recognize billy's impact on my research that I added him as a co-PI on my NSF grant. No salary of course (for any of us), and in his job running the business office at the Rocky Mtn. Biological Lab there are no implications for career advancement, but I think he appreciates the recognition. Similarly, he's now a co-author on several publications (including PNAS), and I think he's pleased at that but they aren't as important for his career as they would be for yours. If you ever get to RMBL, stop by his office (where he keeps several containers full of chocolates for visitors), and join him on the cricket field.

A friend from China wrote me today with a link for a web site in China that has picked up the story about him.

David Inouye

Very interesting story. I'm especially struck by this sentence in the
concluding paragraph:

"Sometimes Barr is credited as a contributor on reports that use his data;
sometimes not."

I'm struggling to think of a justification for not crediting (or sharing
authorship) with someone who is providing a labor-intensive, 40-year-long
dataset. In my perspective, this speaks to an issue of research ethics. In
a material sense, being credited (or sharing authorship) for contributions
to science has ramifications for hiring, promotion, and career advancement.
In a general sense, crediting people for their contributions helps us
understand the genealogy of scientific advancements.

-Jesse
jmi...@email.arizona.edu