Dear All –

This semester I am teaching an experimental Honors seminar course to juniors/seniors titled /The Future of Human Civilization: Climate Change, Population Growth and the Possibilities for Sustainability/.

I know the title may sound pretentious, but I purposely wanted to make it provocative. The students are a mix of STEM and non-STEM majors.

I would welcome suggestions for ancillary materials for the course. We have a large number of primary journal articles and a large cadre of books, including the updated /Limits to Growth/, /2050/ and /2052/ (yes those are two books about the future!), Al Gore’s /The Future/, Oreskes & Conway’s /Collapse of Western Civilization/, and Ron Scranton’s /How to Die in the Anthropocene/.

I almost included Diamond’s /Collapse/, which was high on the list, but I didn’t think it had the proper perspective. I'm currently reading David Biello's /The Unnatural World/.

I’d be particularly interested in any high quality videos that pertain to the course subject, plus further suggestions for readings. We opened with Nick Bostrom’s article “/The Future of Humanity/” to set the stage for the rest of the course, then followed up with the Ehrlichs’ recent PNAS article on whether global civilization can avoid a collapse. Then we read Schramski et al.’s article in PNAS on the analogy of Earth as a discharging battery.

Thanks!

Howie Neufeld

--
Dr. Howard S. Neufeld, Professor
Director, Southern Appalachian Environmental Research and Education Center

Mailing Address:
   Department of Biology
   572 Rivers St.
   Appalachian State University