Although there are clear guidelines for authorship in the Vancouver
Protocol and I believe ESA actually follows these guidelines, I believe
that the guidelines adopted (which were for medical journals) are
unnecessarily rigid. The four guidelines are:

   - Substantial contributions to the conception or design of the work; or
   the acquisition, analysis, or interpretation of data for the work; AND
   - Drafting the work or revising it critically for important intellectual
   content; AND
   - Final approval of the version to be published; AND
   - Agreement to be accountable for all aspects of the work in ensuring
   that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work
   are appropriately investigated and resolved.

However I question whether it is really essential in every case to meet
these guidelines. Specifically when a researcher suffers an untimely death
and leaves unpublished data that others are familiar with and can publish.
You may think this is a straw woman but I am dealing with this situation
right now.  Frankly I believe it would be unethical to put the deceased's
name in the acknowledgements (as the protocol states) rather than as a
coauthor. I really don't see in ecological or evolutionary or taxonomic
work where it is necessary for *every* author to satisfy these conditions
and frankly I doubt these conditions are actually met in the majority of
large multi-authored papers (say papers with 5-15 coauthors) regardless of
what box you check in the submission form. (Typically the senior author
just checks a box that says everyone meets these conditions or at least has
read the final version of the paper.) I think a system where the senior
author is responsible for meeting these conditions is reasonable for our
field or even a majority of authors must meet them.

I know the guidelines were set up to reduce fraud (notice how it seems to
be mostly medical folks <g>) and also to reduce the frequency of "courtesy"
authorship (where someone who wasn't really involved in the research in a
meaningful way is "given" authorship. For example, in the days when
Department Heads controlled in house research funding, I have been told
there were cases where you didn't get any research funding unless you put
the Department Head's name on your papers. I have been in a similar enough
situation so that I believe this likely occurred. Finally, I doubt that it
has reduced the frequency of courtesy authorship, and perhaps even fraud,
although I don't have any data on these things.

In ecology today we have entered a realm where the use of other
researcher's data is becoming more and more common. I published my first
paper using someone else's data in 1982 (Grossman et al. Am. Nat.
120:423-454) and included the original author because I wanted to be able
to ask him questions regarding his methods etc. given that my usage of the
data was different from his original. In addition, and perhaps this seems
charmingly "old school" I couldn't have published a paper without his data
and therefore coauthorship was entirely appropriate. However, this
"convention" seems to be going by the wayside if the requests I receive for
my data sets are any indication. I would ask, how could an author answer
the four criteria above without a coauthor who knows how the data were
collected, sampling efficiency, analyzed, etc? Should having just
collected, and published data automatically warrant coauthorship...I would
say it depends. When I have been in this situation I have always been
involved in design and writing of the paper to earn my coauthorship but I'm
sure others handle it in manyfold ways.

Well those are my thoughts. Let the discussion begin.

g2

--
Gary D. Grossman, PhD
Fellow, American Fisheries Soc.

Professor of Animal Ecology
Warnell School of Forestry & Natural Resources
University of Georgia
Athens, GA, USA 30602

Website - Science, Art (G. Grossman Fine Art) and Music www.garygrossman.net
Blog - https://medium.com/@garydavidgrossman
Board of Editors - Animal Biodiversity and Conservation
Editorial Board - Freshwater Biology
Editorial Board - Ecology Freshwater Fish

Hutson Gallery Provincetown, MA - www.hutsongallery.net/artists.html