The Insect Agroecology & Evolution Lab at the University of Vermont in
Burlington, VT (P.I.
Dr. Yolanda Chen) is currently seeking applicants for a summer hourly lab
research
technician position.

ABOUT US:
A core focus of our research group is the development of sustainable methods
for
management of agricultural insect pests through a better understanding of their
biology
and ecology. We are looking for an enthusiastic research technician to join our
team
researching swede midge (Contarinia nasturtii), an invasive pest that infests
Brassica
vegetable crops, including broccoli, kale, Brussels sprouts, and cabbage.
Organic
vegetable growers in Vermont are experiencing severe yield loss in their
broccoli and kale
crops annually, and there are currently few organic management strategies for
swede
midge that are effective. Learn more about our lab and swede midge research at
our
website: http://blog.uvm.edu/yfanslow/

JOB DESCRIPTION:
This position is a great opportunity to gain experience rearing and handling
insects and
observing their behavior. Our lab maintains a colony of swede midge that
requires daily
care and year-round greenhouse production of broccoli and cauliflower plants.
The
research technician will serve as a project manager organizing and conducting
laboratory
experiments investigating the influence of host plants on the reproductive
behavior of
swede midge.

QUALIFICATIONS
Qualified candidates will have a strong background in entomology, biology,
evolution, and
ecology through applicable coursework or professional experience. Project
management
and research experience required. Attention to detail, excellent organizational
skills,
abilities to work independently and to keep a set schedule with early morning
start times
are key skills for this position.

POSITION DATES:
May 29 - Aug. 18, 2017 (negotiable)

HOURLY PAY RATE:
$12.50

HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants should send an email cover letter, attached resume, list of three