How to Apply
Please visit our employment web page to apply directly through our online
portal:
http://crcareers.thegreatbasininstitute.org/careers/careers.aspx?rf=ECOLOG&req=2016-ACI-037

Description
The Great Basin Institute, in cooperation with the National Park Service (NPS),
is recruiting two Orchard Management
Interns to join our AmeriCorps program to assist the horticulturist and natural
resource staff with orchard management
and research for the orchards in the Fruita Historic District in Capitol Reef
National Park. The orchards of Fruita
consist of over 2,500 historically significant and heirloom fruit and nut trees
that are managed as a cultural resource.
Orchard management activities will consist of assisting staff with insect and
pest monitoring, implementing integrated
pest management strategies such as fruit culling, cover crop management,
vegetation surveys, bloom time surveys, and
fruit monitoring for you-pick orchards. The intern will also assist with
conducting the annual orchard condition
assessments, which consist of applying horticultural and botanical knowledge to
evaluate and record specific health
characteristics of each individual tree. Orchard assessments involve field data
collection and office work to manage and
input the data. The interns may also assist the park’s resource management
staff with high-priority monitoring of
vegetation and threatened and endangered species.

Orchard management activities require long periods of physical labor including
walking, squatting, lifting, bending and
carrying 30+ pounds. Orchard management requires the use of tools such as
shovels, pick mattocks, pruners, wire cutters,
fencing pliers, post pounders, ladders, wheel barrows and miscellaneous other
hand tools. The intern will also be using
power tools and machinery such as weed whips and wood chippers.

Data collection and assessments require long periods of standing and walking on
uneven terrain to collect data. The task
requires patience for repetitive tasks and attention to detail. The task also
requires knowledge of botany and
horticulture and the ability to apply knowledge to an analytical situation. The
condition assessments will also require
large amounts of office time for data entry, requiring attention to detail and
the ability to use Microsoft Office and
ArcGIS.

Orchard management activities require an interest in physically demanding tasks
and hands-on learning. Field work can be
repetitive and physically challenging. Weather conditions will vary widely from
cold with precipitation and rain in the
spring to dry summer heat near 100 F. Capitol Reef is located in a
semi-arid high-elevation Colorado plateau
environment and is home to a number of venomous animals including spiders and
snakes.  Predators include coyote, bobcats
and mountain lions.  Challenging field conditions include gnats and biting
flies during certain seasons. This position
is at least 80% field based.

The ideal intern will have an interest in working for the National Park Service
or for other public lands agencies, be
passionate about protecting historical resources and enjoy or be interested in
applied horticulture. The intern may also
assist with other vegetation or invasive vegetation activities including
monitoring and control. The intern will be
supervised by the park Horticulturist.

Compensation
•Living Allowance: $7,626 (allocated biweekly)
•Education Award: $2,887.50 (May be used for past, present or future
educational expenses, including payment of
qualifying federal student loans).
•Health and dental benefits
•Housing: The park will provide housing in a 5-6-bedroom dormitory. The intern
will have a private room with a shared
bath, shared kitchen and common areas. The dormitory includes all appliances,
coin-operated washer and dryer, some
kitchen pots, pans and dishes.  Internet service may be provided. Heat,
electricity and water are included. A phone is
available in each dorm and long distance calls can be made with a calling card.
Housing is located approximately a 5
minute walk from the duty station. No pets allowed in NPS housing.

Timeline
•Approximately Mid-May through Mid-November (25-week appointment)

Location
Capitol Reef National Park is located near Torrey, UT. The location is remote.
The nearest gas station is 10 miles away
and the nearest grocery store is approximately 35 miles away. A personal
vehicle is required for travel/transport
outside of work. There is currently no cell service in housing or near the duty
station and it is spotty in other
locations. Reliable cellular service is usually only found when nearing Torrey.
The intern should find living in a
remote location desirable. Located in the heart of red rock country, Capitol
Reef NP is filled with cliffs, canyons,
domes and bridges. In addition to unique geological resources, the park also
has a rich cultural history.

Qualifications
•Bachelor’s degree – or coursework and relevant experience – in Horticulture,
Botany, Biology, Ecology, Agronomy,
Natural Resource Management, Entomology or other related field;
•Previous experience with invasive species management, nursery and/or orchard
management, vegetation monitoring and
botanical assessments;
•Experience in following established protocols for field data collection and
management;
•Proficiency using  a digital camera, GPS and ArcGIS;
•Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Access;
•Experience with use of standard vegetation management and related hand and
power tools;
•Willingness to work to accomplish the goals and mission of the NPS and GBI;
•Ability to work in harsh and rapidly changing environments, traverse uneven
terrain and withstand strenuous exertion;
•Clean, valid, state-issued driver’s license with ability to safely operate an
off-highway vehicle, as well as a 4WD
pickup on paved and unpaved roads; applicant must have or be able to obtain an
ATV Safety Institute ATV Rider’s
Certificate;  and
•Meet AmeriCorps eligibility requirements: (1) U.S. citizenship or legal
resident alien status, (2) eligible to receive
an AmeriCorps Education Award (limit of four in a lifetime or the equivalent of
two full-time education awards), (3)
pass National Sex Offender Public Website (NSOPW) and federal criminal
background checks, (4) adhere to the rules,
regulations and code of conduct as specified in the Member Service Agreement;
and (5) not engage in any prohibited
activities as listed in the Member Service Agreement.

How to Apply
Please visit our employment web page to apply directly through our online
portal:
http://crcareers.thegreatbasininstitute.org/careers/careers.aspx?rf=ECOLOG&req=2016-ACI-037

We conform to all the laws, statutes, and regulations concerning equal
employment opportunities and affirmative action.
We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and
veterans to apply to all of our job openings.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity,
or national origin, age, disability
status, Genetic Information & Testing, Family & Medical Leave, protected
veteran status, or any other characteristic
protected by law. We prohibit Retaliation against individuals who bring forth
any complaint, orally or in writing, to
the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or
participate in the investigation of any
complaint or otherwise oppose discrimination.