One can certainly be involved with science advocacy and making contacts with
decision-makers through the traditional routes, such as writing to
legislators/executives, testifying at public hearings, writing op-ed pieces,
and volunteering for various political action groups.

Moving ahead, I believe there is great strength in cultivating partnerships
between scientists, educators, legislators, and various grassroots
organizations who share a common mission of serving the public good. Some of
these people/groups have stronger political motives than others--and as
scholars we are prepared to rationally choose who we interact with and in what
context. A key point to building these relationships is to have a clear,
centrist message and set of goals upon which all involved parties can achieve
consensus. I believe the "scientific method" and "evidence-based
decision-making" are among the messages that can fulfill these criteria. I've
been working with several members of the ESA to coordinate  events at the
upcoming Portland conference that aim to strengthen partnerships between
scientists and people/organizations outside of academia with a common focus on
environmental quality/public welfare. Several other major organizations,
including the Planetary Health Alliance, Union of Concerned Scientists, and (I
think) the American Geophysical Union are engaged in similar endeavors.

--
Kennedy "Ned" F. Rubert-Nason, Ph.D.

Assistant Scientist - University of Wisconsin-Madison

Chemistry Instructor - Madison College

Chair - Inclusive Ecology section-Ecological Society of America
839 Russell Laboratories
1630 Linden Drive
Madison, WI 53706
office: 608-262-4319