Wildlands Studies is pleased to announce a six-week immersive field study in
ecology and conservation this fall in the Andes-Amazon region of southeastern
Peru.

DATES: September 29 – November 11, 2017

LOCATION: Cusco and Madre de Dios Departments, Peru

COURSE CREDIT: Upon successful completion course participants receive credits
for three undergraduate courses (15 quarter credits) through Western Washington
University. Courses include ESCI 497T, ESCI 497U, and ESCI 497V.

REGISTRATION: Open until August 1, 2017

WEB PAGE: http://wildlandsstudies.com/index.php/peru-ecosystem-conservation

towering tropical Andes meet the steamy lowland Amazon rain forest. Throughout
the field course we will traverse one of the most remote and biologically rich
regions on the planet, affording us the opportunity to study diverse plant and
animal communities across varied tropical habitats. We will also explore the
human activities that threaten biological diversity in the study region, as
well as what is being done to conserve biodiversity and natural resources here.

The course follows an elevational transect that begins at the Wayqecha
Biological Station, at the interface between high Andean grasslands and lush
cloud forest. From Wayqecha we descend into the Amazonian foothills to the
Gallito de las Rocas concession, a privately managed protected area that aims
to promote biodiversity conservation alongside sustainable ecotourism. Our next
stop is the Cocha Cashu Biological Station, in the extremely remote heart of
Manu National Park, the gem in Peru’s protected area network. From Manu we head
east to the Los Amigos Conservation Concession, another privately run protected
area that is designed to serve as a corridor between Manu to the west and the
Tambopata National Reserve and adjacent protected areas to the southeast. Our
final study site is Finca Las Piedras, a research station and working farm run
by a local non-profit organization that is attempting to protect biodiversity
and promote sustainable agriculture along the recently paved Interoceanic
Highway connecting Peru with Atlantic ports in Brazil.

Course participants will study some of the most wildlife-rich and remote
tropical ecosystems on the planet, gain practical knowledge used in the study
of tropical biology, ecology, natural history, and applied conservation, learn
from indigenous people whose traditional knowledge of the rain forest is
unmatched, and grapple with questions of biological and cultural survival.

COURSE LEADER: Geoff Gallice, Ph.D. Geoff is a tropical biologist whose
research focuses on the ecology of butterflies. He is also active in applied
conservation research, and has several ongoing projects in South America to
explore and mitigate the impacts of development on Amazonian biodiversity. His
research and teaching has taken him throughout Central and South America,
including Peru.