Dear Colleagues,

We would like to bring our AGU session (B004) to your attention. If you have done research on uncertainty assessment and reduction for terrestrial carbon cycle diagnosis and prediction recently, please consider to submit an abstract to our session.

*Session ID#: * 24868

         Session Description:

Quantifying and reducing uncertainty in diagnosed and modeled carbon fluxes and stocks is a major challenge for the carbon cycle science community. Uncertainty in regional- to global-scale diagnoses limits our ability to test and develop accurate prognostic carbon cycle models, a major source of uncertainty in projections of future climate. However, recent advances in observations, ecosystem experiments, data assimilation techniques, and scientific computing have improved diagnostic and prognostic skill in carbon cycle science. We invite submissions that (1) investigate uncertainty in model forcings, parameters, or structure and the resulting uncertainty in diagnosis and/or predictions; (2) quantify and reduce uncertainty using benchmarking datasets and model-data integration; and (3) document new process understanding, observations, experiments or datasets that will advance this field. We welcome innovative work from all means of studying the terrestrial carbon cycle, including inventory assessments, ecosystem and earth system models, field experiments, remote sensing, and model-data syntheses. Primary Convener: *Jingfeng Xiao*, University of New Hampshire Main Campus, Durham, NH, United States Conveners: *Kenneth J Davis*, Pennsylvania State University Main Campus, University Park, PA, United States, *Forrest M. Hoffman*, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Computational Earth Sciences, Oak Ridge, TN, United States and *Stephen M Ogle*, Colorado State University, Natural Resource Ecology Laboratory, Fort Collins, CO, United States

The deadline for abstract submission is August 2, 2017. We look forward to meeting you at AGU.

Jingfeng, Ken, Forrest, and Stephen

--
Jingfeng Xiao, PhD
Earth Systems Research Center

Email: j.x...@unh.edu
Tel: (603) 862-1873; Fax: (603) 862-0188