There still some spots available for the Biology, Management and Conservation
of North American Salamanders Training Course. If you or your institution are
working with salamanders or if you are focusing your undergrad or grad research
on salamanders,  this is the perfect course for you

2017 BIOLOGY, MANAGEMENT AND CONSERVATION OF NORTH AMERICAN SALAMANDERS
TRAINING COURSE

Amphibian Ark and Zoo Atlanta are pleased to announce the 2017 Biology,
Management and Conservation of North American Salamanders training course.

The course will consist of five days of intensive training, including lectures,
hands-on practical exercises, and fieldwork, with the goal of providing the
students with technical skills necessary for long-term management of ex situ
assurance populations of salamanders, from species selection to reintroductions
with focus on husbandry, health, biosecurity and population management.
 Topics
covered during the course will include: salamander biology, conservation and
management; enclosure design and construction; captive breeding techniques;
biosecurity and disease control; monitoring and surveys of wild and captive
populations; education and scientific engagement. A field trip is arranged at
Wharton Center, GA.

Target audience: Zookeepers, field biologists, grad students, and academics
working in salamander conservation and research, especially in captive
settings. The course is limited to 20 students.

Location: The course will be held at Zoo Atlanta and at Wharton Center, Georgia.

Dates: September 18th – 22nd, 2017

Information: For further information please contact Luis Carrillo, Training
Officer - l...@amphibianark.org <mailto:l...@amphibianark.org>.

Quotes from last year’s students

- The instructors provided first hand, useful information regarding care of
salamanders from all families, with practical tips on husbandry and diet. The
veterinary discussion was extremely helpful. The field trip was fantastic. I
had the opportunity to learn from everyone instructing and taking the course.

- This is a one of a kind course. I found it completely enriching in both a
professional and personal context. The relationships and knowledge cultivated
during the course are priceless and will be indispensable to me in regard to
future salamander conservation work.

- With the amphibian decline crisis in full swing, this course serves as an
opportunity to learn in depth information about salamander research and
husbandry. It is imperative that researchers, aquarists, and zookeepers learn
as much about this taxa as possible in order to bolster their representation in
conservation efforts.

- As a graduate student, I found this course very helpful for my research. I
have taken many great concepts from this course and have been able to apply
them directly to my research. I was also able to network with individuals in my
field which has greatly helped with professional development.

Luis Carrillo
Training Officer / Coordinador de Entrenamiento
l...@amphibianark.org
www.amphibianark.org

10 years helping in Amphibian Conservation!