PhD Research Assistantship in Ecology in Iceland
Department of Integrative Biology, UW-Madison

We are seeking a student to pursue a PhD in ecology at the University of
Wisconsin-Madison studying the ecology of Lake Myvatn, Iceland. Our project
involves both aquatic and terrestrial research, and has a strong quantitative
component. We would like a student with interests that intersect any of the
ongoing research areas in the project, including food-web ecology, entomology,
above-ground/below-ground interactions, ecosystem function, predator-prey
interactions, limnology, population dynamics, and aquatic ecology. A MS degree
is not a pre-requisite.

We expect the PhD student to join a field team including postdocs, graduate
students and interns for fieldwork during summers in Iceland. We seek students
with strong leadership skills and the ability to work independently and
coordinate a research team.

To be considered for this position, by 15 October, 2017, please send a cover
letter outlining your interests and research background, a curriculum vitae
(including GPA and GRE scores), and contact information for three professional
references (name, email, phone, address) as a single PDF file to Tony Ives
(ari...@wisc.edu) with “Lake Myvatn Ecology PhD” in the subject line. This will
initiate an informal discussion about applying formally to the Department of
Integrative Biology for graduate school; the deadline for the Department of
Integrative Biology application is 1 December, 2017. The selected student is
expected to enroll at the UW-Madison in the Fall Semester of 2018, but will
begin some fieldwork in the summer of 2018. Funding for the student will come
from a combination of teaching and research assistantships for the duration of
the degree.

Tony Ives