Ken, Jorge and Others,

When I used to teach introductory biostatistics, I really liked the book
Introductory Biological Statistics by Hampton and Havel (Waveland Press).  The
book was quite inexpensive (I think less than $50), was softcover, and was
pretty streamlined, such that a student could easily read it cover to cover.
It also had a CD with data, etc.  I liked the more practical, minimalist
approach (as well as cheaper price) and thought that the text explained the
main concepts quite well.  The book only went up to simple 2-way ANOVA designs
(factorial and randomized block) and simple linear regression, rather than more
complex analyses, but this seemed wholly sufficient to me for an introductory
class.

Introduction to Biostatistics by Glover and Mitchell (also Waveland Press) also
seemed like a nice book that was fairly inexpensive and gave good explanations.
 I think that the coverage was a bit broader and deeper than Hampton and Havel,
with more equations and derivation.  I did not use it to teach with, but used
it personally for helping with lecture prep and finding some examples.

I no longer teach the class and the new instructors use Whitlock and Schluter,
which also seems like a nice book, with better coverage of modern statistical
methods, but is much more expensive.  It does cover a wider range of more
advanced analyses than Hampton and Havel, and is quite a bit longer (and comes
in hard cover).  It sort of struck me as falling in between what I would have
wanted to use for my intro class (perhaps a little more advanced than I
wanted), but less than what I'd want for a pure graduate class.

Finally, an online resource that some of my students in my grad class found
useful was Handbook of Biological Statistics, by John McDonald:
http://www.biostathandbook.com/.   We used Quinn and Keough or Gotelli and
Ellison as the main texts in that class.

Hope this helps.  I really liked Hampton and Havel for my intro class, but what
you prefer might depend on your philosophy of how you would want to teach the
class.  I liked Hampton and Havel for giving myself a quick reminder of many
traditional, frequentist concepts in statistics.

Regards,

Mark Dixon​