Mongabay's first report from our new 'what works in conservation' series
reveals that the evidence for the success of timber certification schemes
like Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) is both mixed and weak:

https://news.mongabay.com/2017/09/does-forest-certification-really-work/

We paired a Princeton PhD ecologist with a Mongabay staff writer and tasked
them with reviewing the available evidence in hundreds of peer reviewed
studies, and the result of months of work is that while it appears that the
FSC leads to better environmental outcomes, it's failing at the other parts
of its 'triple bottom line' i.e. people and profit. See the handy
infographic within the article for more, each square is a representative
study you can click thru to.

The main finding is that more evidence is needed, and so in their
discussion at the end, the team calls for more studies, esp of the impacts
of certification on workers and local communities, which are extremely
limited to date.

Our team:

- Zuzana Burivalova, PhD ecologist at Princeton in NJ, has been thinking
hard about the findings' implications, i.e. what does it mean for people
and planet if FSC etc cannot deliver and ultimately fail, we had her on our
podcast recently following our interview with Paul Simon, it begins at
minute 31 here
<https://news.mongabay.com/2017/03/audio-paul-simon-on-his-new-tour-in-support-of-e-o-wilsons-half-earth-initiative/>

- Shreya Dasgupta, Mongabay staff writer based in Bangalore

- Mike Gaworecki, editor for the project and Mongabay staff writer based in
NYC

Please leave your thoughts and reactions in the comments section at bottom
of the article
<https://news.mongabay.com/2017/09/does-forest-certification-really-work/>,
and thanks all,

Erik