We are recruiting a PhD student to work on an NSF sponsored project studying
the impact of rapid evolution on the productivity and stability of coastal
salt marshes. We have grown individuals from a foundational plant in this
system (Schoenoplectus americanus) from seed banks dating back over 100
years. Our approach involves: measuring changes in plant physiology and
growth in controlled experiments; paleoecological analysis of marsh
sediments; synthesis of extensive field data; and Bayesian approaches to
link evolutionary and ecosystem processes. We welcome applicants with
strengths in any of these disciplines. For more information, see the lab web
page (https://sites.nd.edu/paleolab), or submit a letter detailing your
interest and relevant background to Jason McLachlan (jmcla...@nd.edu).
Please CC the project manager, Jody Peters (peters...@nd.edu). Applications
to Notre Dame Biological Sciences are due December 1.