The Jain Lab (http://mehajain.weebly.com) at University of Michigan’s School
for
Environment and Sustainability (http://seas.umich.edu/) is recruiting Ph.D.
students to start
Fall 2018. Our lab examines questions related to sustainable food systems in
the face of
global environmental change, including climate change and natural resource
degradation.
Specifically, I am interested in students who would like to (1) quantify the
impacts of
environmental change on agricultural production and examine sustainable ways to
enhance
food security, (2) identify how farmers are adapting to environmental change
and the
effectiveness of these adaptation strategies, and/or (3) identify and implement
interventions to enhance farmers’ abilities to sustainably adapt to
environmental change.
We use a mixed methods approach to answer these questions, combining satellite
image
analysis and household surveys to understand farmer decision-making across
large spatio-
temporal scales. Though the lab would be best suited to students who would like
similarly combine these methods, this is not required and students who are
interested in
either satellite image or household survey analysis are also encouraged to
apply.

If you are interested in applying for the SEAS Ph.D. program in the Jain lab,
please send
Meha Jain (mehaj...@umich.edu) an email with a short paragraph describing your
research interests and a CV.