The East Carolina University (ECU) Fisheries Oceanography Lab run by Dr.
Rebecca Asch is currently
recruiting new Masters and Ph.D. students to join this research group for the
2018-2019 academic
year.  We anticipate accepting one new Masters student and one Ph.D. to join
our research team.
The Asch Lab’s research program focuses on interactions between fisheries,
plankton ecology, and
climate change and climate variability.  Our research approach combines
fieldwork, time series
analysis, and ecosystem modeling, spanning local-to-global and
subseasonal-to-centennial scales.
For more information about the Asch Lab, please see: http://www.ecu.edu/cs-
cas/biology/Rebecca_Asch.cfm

We seek students who are highly self-motivated, independent, and creative
thinkers that are
enthusiastic about pursuing a career in marine ecology, oceanography, and/or
fisheries management.
A strong background in quantitative ecology, computer programming (e.g.,
MATLAB, R, Python),
and/or multivariate statistics is desired, but not required.  There are several
current and soon to be
initiated projects that a prospective student could develop into a thesis or
dissertation:

•       Modeling climate change effects on the distribution and phenology of
spawning aggregations of
reef fishes in the Caribbean and Indo-Pacific regions. The goal of this project
is to evaluate whether
spawning aggregations may serve as a bottleneck constraining overall shifts in
species distribution.
This project builds off an existing collaboration between Dr. Asch and Dr. Brad
Erisman at the
University of Texas Marine Science Institute.
•       Forecasting of the seasonal timing of spawning migrations of anadromous
fishes.  A forecast
model for striped bass residing in the Tar, Neuse, and Roanoke Rivers will be
developed based on
historical data on environmental variables and spawning activity.  Forecasts
will then be validated and
refined through fieldwork, with a final, operational forecast product to be
delivered to fisheries
managers and the fishing community.
•       Examining seasonal variations in predator-prey interactions among
larval fishes and
mesozooplankton.  This project will build off existing research in the Asch Lab
examining how climate
variability affects the seasonal timing of larval fish ingress into Beaufort
Inlet, North Carolina.  The
prospective student will use ZooScan to develop a machine learning algorithm to
classify
zooplankton taxa in an automated fashion.  The student will use these data to
evaluate whether
zooplankton phenology varies in phase with larval fish ingress and whether
mismatches in phenology
affect fisheries recruitment.

We also welcome applications from students who are interested in developing
their own research
ideas into a thesis or dissertation, as long as those ideas are closely
connected with the research
objectives of the Asch Lab.

Information on graduate programs in the ECU Department of Biology is available
at:
http://www.ecu.edu/cs-cas/biology/BiologyGrad/index.cfm.  Doctoral students can
apply to work in
the Asch Lab either through the Coastal Resources Management (CRM) Program or
the
Interdisciplinary Doctoral Program in Biological Sciences (IDPBS).  Graduate
students accepted to
one of these programs will be funded through either a research or teaching
assistantship.  The
priority deadline to apply for graduate admissions is January 15, 2017.
However, prospective
students should contact Rebecca Asch by email (asch...@ecu.edu) well in advance
of this deadline,
preferably by November 15.  This email should include: (1) a brief statement
describing your research
interests and career goals; (2) A C.V. or resume, and; (3) an unofficial
academic transcript.