Postdoctoral Scholar Position in Stream Ecology

A postdoctoral research scholar position is available in the Department of
Applied Ecology
at North Carolina State University. We are seeking a postdoctoral scholar to
conduct
experimental and observational studies exploring how environmentally induced
shifts in
stream algal communities impact stream invertebrate secondary production and
the flow
energy and nutrients to fish and terrestrial consumers of stream insects.

The primary responsibilities will include 1) conducting fieldwork in the
Appalachian
Mountains, Rocky Mountains, and possibly other locations, sometimes for
continuous
durations of 3-4 months, 2) some independence in research design and execution,
3) and
field sampling, sample processing and analyses, and publishing and presenting
the
findings in collaboration with others.

Applicants are required to have a Ph.D. in biology, entomology, ecology or a
related field at
the time of hire. Highly desirable qualifications include experience in one or
more of the
following areas: quantifying invertebrate secondary production, trophic basis
of
production, organic matter flow, fatty acid analysis, invertebrate sampling,
invertebrate
taxonomy and life histories, and knowledge of or an interest in fish or bird
foraging
experiments and/or energetics.

The postdoctoral scholar will be working with Brad Taylor’s Lab group.  For
additional
information regarding the research group and focal areas, please consult our
website
(www.bradwtaylor.com), and email brad.tay...@ncsu.edu if you have questions.
In
addition, to interactions among our lab group, the position provides
opportunities to
interact with a vibrant group of scientists at NC State
(appliedecology.cals.ncsu.edu),
other institutions in North Carolina’s Research Triangle, and at the Rocky
Mountain
Biological Laboratory in Colorado (www.rmbl.org).

The salary is $48,000-50,000 plus benefits. The position is for two years, with
renewal
dependent on performance.

Applicants should include a cover letter (stating their potential start date),
a curriculum
vitae, contact information for three references, 2-3 relevant publications, and
a 1-2 page
statement of research interests. Review of applications will begin on 31
January 2018 and
applications will be accepted until the position is filled.  The start date is
flexible but no
later than 15 April 2018.

Apply at http://jobs.ncsu.edu enter position number “PG170060PD” in the keyword
field.

North Carolina State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action
employer.