Postdoctoral Position: Dendroecological perspectives on temperate mountain
forest dynamics of Central and Eastern Europe

Type of employment: Temporary position – until the end of 2020 (with
possibility to extend to permanent positon)
Working hours: Full time
First day of employment: summer or fall 2018
Number of positions: 1
City: Prague
Country: Czech Republic

Czech University of Life Sciences in Prague, Faculty of Forestry and Wood
Sciences

We are seeking a postdoctoral researcher to join our team within the Forest
Dynamics Lab of the Department of Forest Ecology, Faculty of Forestry and
Wood Sciences in Prague, Czech Republic. The project is titled “Disturbance
regimes as drivers of structural variability, carbon dynamics and
biodiversity at the stand and landscape levels in primary mountain forests
in central and eastern Europe.”

Disturbance plays a dominant role in shaping the structure and function of
forest ecosystems, but quantification of disturbance effects is typically
limited by missing information on a location’s history and a region’s
disturbance regime. Our lab uses tree-ring data to reconstruct site
histories, providing insight into how forest characteristics recover from
disturbances of variable severity. We are particularly interested in
linking patterns in the severity and frequencies of disturbance to
variation in tree size structure, carbon dynamics and biodiversity.

The Carpathian forest region is ecologically unique in maintaining two co-
mingling monospecific forest types broadly distributed across gradients of
external drivers. The project will link biomass and biodiversity indicators
to disturbance histories in primary forests that permit such direct
contrasts of endogenous and exogenous drivers. The project will therefore
provide novel insights on whether the predictions of present biomass and
forest biodiversity indicators can be improved by more accurately
partitioning the relative importance of exogenous and endogenous drivers.
At the same time, this project will be the first to reconstruct biomass
trends in large patches of primary forests in central and eastern Europe,
while most other studies tend to be based on national forest inventories in
managed forests, which greatly limits the ability to infer the long term
dynamics of forest development. The proposed project will be organized into
interlinked work packages subdivided into research questions focusing on
quantification of the main drivers of forest dynamics and biomass and
biodiversity indicators responses.
WP 1. Drivers of disturbance dynamics
WP 2. Tree growth history and forest biomass
WP 3. Stand structural diversity and biodiversity indicators

The successful candidate will have access to a completed database of 20 000
tree cores collected from 1000 forest plots distributed throughout
remaining patches of old-growth forest is central and eastern Europe. Plots
are distributed in a hierarchical design (i.e. plots nested within stands,
within landscapes throughout the Carpathian mountain range). The aim of the
design is to partition the effects of disturbance effects at a variety of
scales, from local variation among neighboring locations due to smaller-
scale gap dynamics to more extreme events impacting entire landscapes.

The selected candidate will be expected to lead projects using available
tree-ring data to link tree growth, disturbances and biomass dynamics to
abiotic and biotic factors. Responsibilities will predominantly be data
analysis and manuscript preparation.
Opportunities to visit some of our impressive field locations will be
available, but the candidate is not expected to participate in data
collection.

We are a young and energetic research team with close collaborations with
international partners. Opportunities exist for international exchange
visits and meetings. To obtain more information about our team, visit
http://scholar.google.cz/citations?user=DaBJTM4AAAAJ

Applicants should have a PhD (at the time of hire) in environmental or
related sciences (biology, ecology, geography, forest sciences), and
excellent English communication and writing skills on the level of native
speaker is essential.

Salary: 45000 –60 000 CZK based on the previous experience and performance.
We offer a 2-year position. The starting monthly salary represents double
of the median salary in the Czech Republic. To compare living costs see
here: https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living
In addition, there is a share increase based on the personal performance.

Applications: Please attach a CV listing skills and qualifications, a list
of publications and other documents deemed important by the applicant.
Applicants should provide a short statement outlining why they believe
themselves to be suitable for the above position. Applicants should include
contact information for two references, one being the current or most
recent employer.

Send the application to the following address:
Miroslav Svoboda
Email: svobo...@fld.czu.cz
Postal address: Czech University of Life Science, Faculty of Forestry and
Wood Science, Kamycka 129, Praha 6 Suchdol, 16521, Czech Republic