Hi AGU 2017 attendees,

 We invite you to our AGU Town Hall event titled “Introducing a U.S.-based
Research Coordination Network for Blue Carbon” this week in New Orleans. The
event (TH45D) will be held on this coming Thursday Dec 14 from 6:15 PM to 7:15
PM in the Convention Center rooms 267-268.

 Please join us to learn more about the Global Science and Data Network for
Coastal Blue Carbon. Presenters will demonstrate how it will support and
improve our knowledge in carbon and greenhouse gas cycling and its potential
applications in research, capacity building and policy. We will also be taking
questions and welcoming feedback on how to strengthen the interactive global
coastal carbon network. Here is the link to the
event<https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/meetingapp.cgi/Session/30386> so you can
add it to your personal AGU calendar.

 For more information on the network please visit the official
website<https://serc.si.edu/coastalcarbon>, contact Dr. James Holmquist at
holmqui...@si.edu and follow @CoastalCarbon<https://twitter.com/CoastalCarbon>
on twitter during #AGU17<https://twitter.com/hashtag/AGU17?src=hash> for the
latest updates on the network.

We look forward to seeing you next week at AGU,

Thank you,

Coastal Carbon RCN Team

Title: TH45D: Introducing a U.S.-based Research Coordination Network for Blue
Carbon

Abstract: Coastal wetlands store massive amounts of carbon in their soils,
transport carbon to adjacent estuaries, and can be the cause of greenhouse gas
emissions of they are degraded or eroded. The scale and data-needs of the
questions surrounding ‘blue carbon’ keep expanding. Therefore, we are pleased
to announce the recent establishment of a Blue Carbon Research Coordination
Network (RCN). Our central activity will be creating and curating an online
data repository, starting with a library of up to 1,500 tidal wetlands soil
carbon profiles. We will also host collaborative working group meetings, and
provide online resources to educate all levels of practitioners on field, lab,
and analytic best-practices. The goal of the RCN is to accelerate scientific
discovery and more effectively meet stakeholder needs. At the town hall we will
demonstrate the first iteration of each of these goals as a proof of concept,
then solicit community feedback on future developments. Following the
demonstration will be an educational outreach activity, on interacting with
current data libraries. We encourage feedback, especially on how the RCN can be
used to accelerate progress in coastal resiliency, ecosystem services,
monitoring reporting and verification, general circulation models, and other
concepts in coastal carbon science.

--
Jorge Ramos, Ph.D.
Manager, Climate and Oceans